The Source Water Protection Mini-Grant Program is a great way for the community to get involved in keeping our environment and drinking water supplies safe for years to come.
Examples of Qualifying Projects
- River and stream clean-ups, including restoration and stabilization of river banks
- Protection and conservation of the region's watersheds and aquifer recharge zones
- Innovative solutions to reduce pollution in wetlands, rivers and coastal areas
- Educational resources such as trainings, workshops, signage or exhibits, and the development of Florida-standards-based curriculum about drinking water and the environment
Everyone can do their part each day to protect the sources of our drinking water. Remember, everything that happens on the ground eventually makes its way to the water. By joining forces together, these simple actions can make a significant difference in the quality of our water resources.
- Properly dispose of hazardous wastes and chemicals at your county’s collection center:
- Limit the amount of fertilizer applied to lawns and gardens and never fertilize when it’s raining, or rain is in the forecast.
- Take used motor oil to be recycled.
- Dispose of old medications at approved Sheriff’s Office locations – don’t flush them down the drain! Find Tampa Bay area locations here.
- Pick up pet waste.
- Create Florida-friendly landscapes.
- Regularly pump and inspect septic tanks.
- Adopt Low Impact Development design methods.
- Review more detailed examples of Backyard Conservation Methods and Best Management Practices.